About this artwork
Initially unattributed, this drawing was owned by the renowned Italian drawings scholar Philip Pouncey, who found it was a study for the central fresco executed by Bernardino Campi in the dome of San Sigismondo in Cremona between 1567 and 1570. Born in Cremona and trained in Mantua and Milan, Campi must have recalled the ceiling frescoes of Michelangelo and Correggio in his powerful evocation of God the Father.
Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Bernardino Campi
- God the Father
- Black chalk, heightened with white gouache, squared in black chalk, on gray-brown laid paper, laid down on cream laid paper
- Inscribed verso, lower right, on mount, in graphite: "Pordenone/L 35 — 18"
- 212 × 368 mm
- Gift of Dorothy Braude Edinburg to the Harry B. and Bessie K. Braude Memorial Collection