About this artwork
This kesa was among the first to enter the Art Institute’s collection, in 1895. It is noteworthy for its large size, state of completeness (with ring, loop, cords, and tassels), and its pattern showing a profusion of European and Asian flowers. The pattern was made in the kara-ori technique, in which weft-float brocading resembles embroidery. An inscription on the lining states that the kesa was worn by the grand priest of a Buddhist temple.
Currently Off View
- Made 1801–1833
- Silk; satin weave with supplementary patterning wefts; silk cords and tassels; ivory ring
- 134 × 340.6 cm (55 1/2 × 134 in.)
- Gift of Mrs. Charles B. Pope through the Antiquarian Society