Gift of Mrs. Michael W. Straus in memory of Michael Straus
Extended information about this artwork
J. de Bosschere, ed., De Kerken van Antwerpen (Schilderijen, Beeldhouwwerken, Geschilderde Glasramen, enz., in de XVIIIe eeuw beschreven door Jacobus de Wit (Uitgaven der Antwerpsche Bibliophilen, no. 25), (Antwerp and The Hague, 1910), p. 147.
Art Institute of Chicago, Annual Report 1963-64 (Chicago, 1964), p. 19.
Alfred Werner, “Berichte,” Pantheon 23 (1965), pp. 121-22.
David W. Steadman, Abraham van Diepenbeeck, Seventeenth-Century Flemish Painter (Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1982), pp. 28-29, 101, 175, no. 48, fig. 45.
Guy C. Bauman and Walter A. Liedtke, Flemish Paintings in America. A Survey of Early Netherlandish and Flemish Paintings in the Public Collections of North America (Antwerp, 1992), p. 328, no. 186, ill.
Hans Vlieghe in Meesters van het Zuiden. Barokschilders rondom Rubens, ed. Paul Huys Janssen, exh. cat., Noordbrabants Museum, ‘s-Hertogenbosch, 2000, pp. 73-74, under no. 19.
Ann Diels, The Shadow of Rubens: Print Publishing in 17th-century Antwerp. Prints by the history paintings Abraham vanDiepenbeck, Cornelis Schut and Erasmus Quellinus II (Turnhout, 2009), pp. 77-79.
“Diepenbeeck, Abraham van” in Allgemeines Künstlerlexikon Online: http://www.degruyter.com/view/AKL/_10188856?rskey=px6Pa0&result=10&dbq_0=diepenbeeck&dbf_0=akl-fulltext&dbt_0=fulltext&o_0=AND
accessed June 9, 2014
Fondatie Terninck in the parish of Saint George, Antwerp, by about 1748, [with four other grisailles by Diepenbeeck according to De Bosschere 1910, p. 147, reprinting the manuscript description of Jacob de Wit from about 1748; see also Steadman 1982]; probably dispersed by 1767 [Steadman 1982]. Michael Straus (died 1943), Hinsdale, Illinois, possibly from 1893 [a letter of December 18, 1963 from his son Michael W. Straus to John Maxon states that his father had acquired the painting, then attributed to Anthony van Dyck, in connection with his role in the World’s Columbian Exposition of 1893, copy in curatorial file]; by descent to Michael W. Straus, Washington, D.C.; given to the Art Institute, 1963.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email . Information about image downloads and licensing is available here.