About this artwork
The Art Institute boasts a small but choice selection of drawings by Antoine Watteau. This early example of his virtuoso draftsmanship in red chalk reflects his intimate knowledge of elegant materials and costumes, made famous in his print series the Figures de modes (Figures of Fashion). The spontaneity of the artist’s method is suggested in the pentimenti (changes to the composition) in the woman’s face.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Jean Antoine Watteau
- Two Studies of a Dancer, Raising Her Skirt in Her Two Hands
- France (Artist's nationality:)
- Red chalk on cream laid paper
- Inscribed, lower left, in brown ink: "Wattau"
- 17.6 × 13.3 cm (6 15/16 × 5 1/4 in.)
- Regenstein Collection Endowment