About this artwork
These two drawings, Men Hunting Ibexes with Hounds (Mountain Goat Hunt) (2001.502) and The Capture of a Swarm of Bees in a Farmyard (2013.1031) relate to a series of prints of hunting scenes that Johannes Stradanus, an artist based in Florence, designed in collaboration with the publisher Philips Galle, who was based in Antwerp. The drawings communicated Stradanus’s ideas directly with the members of Galle’s workshop who prepared the printing plates. It is curious that Stradanus chose to create such elaborate and colorful designs even though they were to be made into monochromatic prints. In Men Hunting Ibexes with Hounds (Mountain Goat Hunt), Stradanus was clearly dissatisfied with an earlier attempt to represent the subject. The center-most foreground figure has been redrawn on a separate piece of paper that replaced another passage.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Jan van der Straet
- Men Hunting Ibexes with Hounds
- Flanders (Artist's nationality:)
- Pen and brown ink, brush and brown wash, and white opaque watercolor, over black chalk, on pieced cream laid paper, incised for transfer, laid down on cream laid paper
- Signed recto, lower right, in pen and brown ink: "Stradanus"; inscribed recto, lower right corner of perimeter mount, in graphite: "34"
- Primary support: 20.7 × 29.7 cm (8 3/16 × 11 3/4 in.); Secondary support: 21 × 30.1 cm (8 5/16 × 11 7/8 in.)
- Gift of Celia and David Hilliard in honor of Dorothy Braude Edinburg