Frederick Duleep Singh, Portraits in Norfolk Houses, Edmund Ferrer, ed., vol. 2 (Norwich, England, 1928), pp. 239–40.
John Maxon, “Three Baroque Portraits,” Art Institute of Chicago Quarterly 57, 1 (1963), pp. 4, 5, ill.
T. L., review of John Maxon, “Three baroque portraits,” in Emporium 138, 2 (1964), p. 96.
“Accessions of American and Canadian Museums,” Art Quarterly 26, 2 (1963), p. 253, ill.
John Maxon, The Art Institute of Chicago (New York, 1970), pp. 260, 287, ill.; revised edition (London, 1977); reprinted (London, 1987).
Ilse Hecht, “Portrait of Thomas Bulwer,” Bulletin of the Art Institute of Chicago 71, 5 (1977), pp. 2–5, fig. 1, cover ill.
Richard R. Brettell and Steven Starling, The Art of the Edge: European Frames 1300–1900, exh. cat. (Art Institute of Chicago, 1986), p. 105, under no. 60.
M. Therese Southgate, “Portrait of Thomas Bulwer,” Journal of the American Medical Association 295, 6 (2006), p. 595, cover ill.
Worcester, England, City Art Gallery, Exhibition of Paintings from 1642 to 1651, 1951, cat. 43.
Art Institute of Chicago, European Portraits 1600–1900 in the Art Institute of Chicago, July 8–September 11, 1978, cat. 5.
Art Institute of Chicago, The Art of the Edge: European Frames 1300–1900, October 19–December 14, 1986, with no. 60.
Rippon Hall, Hevingham, Norwich, by 1910 [according to Singh 1923, who visited Rippon Hall on July 29, 1910]. Lever Galleries, London, by 1937 [according to a letter from Leggatt Brothers to Ilse Hecht dated October 3, 1977, in curatorial file]; sold to Leggatt Brothers, London, 1937 [according to the letter cited above]; sold to Reginald H. Leon, The White House, Denham, Buckinghamshire, 1937 as Portrait of John Bulwer [date according to the letter cited above; title according to a letter from Leggatt Brothers to Ilse Hecht dated October 25, 1977, in curatorial file]; his sale, Knight, Frank & Rutley, The White House, Denham, Buckinghamshire, May 9, 1961, lot 49 as Portrait of John Bulwer for £260 to Agnew & Sons [price and buyer according to annotated photocopy of the sale catalogue, in curatorial file]; Agnew Brothers, London; sold to the Art Institute, 1962.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email .