About this artwork
Fantin-Latour underwent a striking evolution over the course of his career, starting out as a member of the Realist avant-garde before creating anti-Realist, fantastic compositions in the 1870s. This masterful pastel honoring the late French Romantic composer Hector Berlioz is part of the proto-Symbolist “imaginative projects” developed by Fantin-Latour around 1875.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Henri Fantin-Latour
- The Anniversary (Homage to Hector Berlioz)
- France (Artist's nationality:)
- Pastel, with opaque watercolor and scraping, over a lithograph in black ink on wove paper
- Signed and dated, lower right, in black crayon: "Fantin 1877"
- 62.5 × 51.4 cm (24 5/8 × 20 1/4 in.)
- Margaret Day Blake Collection, Harold Joachim and Helen Regenstein Endowments