About this artwork
Made in preparation for the sculpture Little Dancer Aged Fourteen, this remarkable drawing depicts the model Marie van Goethem from three different perspectives: left profile, right profile, and facing the viewer. Edgar Degas wanted to understand the figure in the round, in two dimensions, before he approached the sculpture in three dimensions.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Hilaire Germain Edgar Degas
- Three Studies of a Dancer in Fourth Position
- France (Artist's nationality)
- Charcoal and pastel with stumping, and touches of brush and black wash, on grayish-tan laid paper with blue fibers, laid down on gray wove paper
- Signed recto, lower left, in black pastel: "Degas"
- 48 × 61.6 cm (18 15/16 × 24 5/16 in.)
- Bequest of Adele R. Levy