About this artwork
This stylized portrait of Metang was commissioned around 1912, when he was initiated into kingship. The ruler holds a buffalo drinking horn and a gourd container, two of the most important regalia throughout the Bamileke kingdoms in the Cameroon Grassfields. This figure was photographed several times, always next to the entrance of the Batufam palace, arranged with a portrait of his senior wife and several other sculptures of kings and queens.
- Portrait of Metang, the 10th King of Batufam
- Cameroon (Object made in), Africa (Object made in)
- Wood with traces of kaolin and camwood
- 130.5 × 43.2 × 31 cm (51 1/3 × 17 × 12 1/5 in.)
- Major Acquisitions Centennial Endowment