The Interior of the Palm House on the Pfaueninsel Near Potsdam

Four women with musical instruments lounge in a massive garden courtyard.
CC0 Public Domain Designation

Image actions

  • Four women with musical instruments lounge in a massive garden courtyard.

Date:

1834

Artist:

Carl Blechen
German, 1798-1840

About this artwork

Carl Blechen is regarded as a pivotal figure in nineteenth-century German painting; his short career marks the transition from Romanticism to a more realistic view of nature. Although he is best known for scenes in which a carefully observed Italian landscape served as the backdrop for mysterious or nostalgic figures, The Palm House represents an important detour in his work. In 1832 Blechen was commissioned by Friedrich Wilhelm III of Prussia (r. 1797–1840) to paint two views of an exotic pleasure building recently constructed near Potsdam. The architect Karl Friedrich Schinkel designed the Palm House for the king’s collection of palms. It was situated on the Pfaueninsel, or Peacock Island, a favorite royal retreat dotted with whimsical buildings such as a tiny castle and a Gothic dairy. Blechen’s painting is both a record of the building, with its lush palms and fragments of an Indian temple, and an evocation of a fantasy world peopled by beautiful women purposefully playing to the viewer’s imagination. After completing two exquisite, small paintings for the king, Blechen made this grand version for public viewing. The Palm House was one of the artist’s most ambitious statements, for he soon succumbed to melancholy and madness.

On View

European Painting and Sculpture, Gallery 221

Artist

Carl Blechen

Title

The Interior of the Palm House on the Pfaueninsel Near Potsdam

Origin

Germany

Date

1834

Medium

Oil on canvas

Dimensions

52 1/2 × 50 in. (135 × 126 cm)

Credit Line

Through prior acquisitions of the George F. Harding Collection; L.L. and A.S. Coburn and Alexander A. McKay endowments; through prior gift of William Wood Prince; through prior acquisitions of the Charles H. and Mary F.S. Worcester Endowment

Reference Number

1996.388

Extended information about this artwork

Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email .

Share

Sign up for our enewsletter to receive updates.

Learn more

Image actions

Share