Pen and brown ink and brush and brown wash, heightened with gold metallic paint, on blue laid paper, laid down on thin tan laid paper
Inscribed recto, lower right, in pen and brown ink: "35"; inscribed verso, upper center on mount, in pen and brown ink: "Auction Posonyi 1858 N 250"; upper center on mount, in pen and brown ink (in Posonyi hand): "N. 14 / Annibale Carracci"
223 x 140 mm
Clarence Buckingham Collection
Extended information about this artwork
Suzanne Folds McCullagh and Laura M. Giles, Italian Drawings before 1600 in The Art Institute of Chicago: A Catalogue of the Collection (Chicago, 1997), pp. 155-57, no. 201 (ill.).
New York, Wildenstein and Company, “Master Drawings from The Art Institute of Chicago,” October 17-November 30, 1963, n.p., cat. 7, pl. IV.
Washington, D.C., National Gallery of Art, “Venetian Drawings From American Collections,” September 21, 1974-April 20, 1975; also traveled to Fort Worth, Tex., Kimbell Art Museum; and the Toledo Museum of Art.
The Art Institute of Chicago, “Great Drawings from The Art Institute of Chicago: The Harold Joachim Years 1958-1983,” July 24-September 30, 1985, pp. 32-33, cat. 5 (ill.), cat. by Martha Tedeschi.
Art Institute of Chicago, “Drawings Rediscovered: Italian Drawings before 1600 in The Art Institute of Chicago,” Apr. 12-June 22, 1997.
The Art Institute of Chicago, “The Broad Spectrum: Color on Paper, Past and Present,” September 12–October 31, 1999, hors. cat.
The Art Institute of Chicago, “Strokes of Genius: Italian Drawings from the Goldman Collection,” November 1, 2014-February 1, 2015.
Marquis de Lagoy [stamp (Lugt 1710), recto, lower right, in black]. Dr. F. Pokorny [stamp (Lugt 2036), verso, lower left, in green]. A. Posonyi [script (Lugt 2040), verso, center and lower left on mount, in pen and brown ink]; sold, J. Wawra, Vienna, May 21, 1900. Unknown collector [unidentified stamp (R.U.F.), verso, lower left on mount, in green]. Lord Walston. Germain Seligman [stamp verso, lower right on mount, in blue]; sold by Jacques Seligman and Company, New York, to the Art Institute, 1962.
McCullagh & Giles 201
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email . Information about image downloads and licensing is available here.