About this artwork
The front (obverse) of this coin depicts the goddess Ceres, facing right. She wears drop earings and a crown of wheat, with her hair rolled on the sides.
On the back (reverse), two oxen face left while a figure standing behind them raises a whip to drive them forward.
- Currently Off View
- Arts of the Ancient Mediterranean and Byzantium
- Ancient Roman
- Denarius (Coin) Depicting the Goddess Ceres
- Roman Empire (Artist's nationality)
- 81 BCE
- Obverse: CAPIT VIII Reverse: MARI C F SC VII
- Diam.: 1.9 cm (3/4 in.)
- Gift of William F. Dunham