About this artwork
The front (obverse) of this coin depicts a young Dionysos, Greek god of wine, facing right and crowned with an ivory wreath bearing two bunches of berries at his brow. His expression is serene, and his hair is shown rolled through side and back of the diadem, with several long locks curling down his neck.
On the back (reverse), Dionysos is depicted leaning lightly on a rod with a cloak over his left arm. With his right he presents bunch of grapes.
- Ancient Greek
- Tetradrachm (Coin) Depicting the God Dionysos
- Roman Empire (Artist's nationality:)
- 146 BCE
- Reverse: ΔΙΟΝΥΣΟΥ [Σ]ΩΤΗPOΣ ΜΑPΩΝΙΤ[ΩΝ]
- Diam.: 3.2 cm (1 5/16 in.)
- Gift of William F. Dunham