About this artwork
The front (obverse) of this coin emulates a Macedonian style shield; with the goddess Artemis Tauropolis depicted in the center. Her hair is rolled at the back with three locks falling to her neck; a bow and quiver appear behind her.
On the back (reverse), a large club is shown horizontally.
- Currently Off View
- Arts of the Ancient Mediterranean and Byzantium
- Ancient Roman
- Tetradrachm (Coin) Depicting a Macedonian Shield with the Goddess Artemis
- Roman Empire (Artist's nationality:)
- 158 BCE–149 BCE
- Reverse: MAKEΔΟΝΩΝ ΠΠΩΤΗΣ
- Diam.: 3.1 cm (1 1/4 in.)
- Gift of William F. Dunham