About this artwork
Like his grandfather, Louis XV, Louis XVI (r. 1774–92) maintained a great personal interest in Sèvres and financed it with government funds. Beginning with his accession to the throne in 1774, commemorative portrait medallions such as these were issued with regularity until the French Revolution.
- Currently Off View
- Applied Arts of Europe
- Manufacture nationale de Sèvres (Manufacturer)
- Medallion with Portrait of Louis XVI
- Sèvres (Object made in)
- Hard-paste unglazed (biscuit) porcelain
- 5.7 × 0.9 cm (2 1/4 × 3/8 in.)
- Joseph Maier and Arthur Lewis Liebman Memorial: Gift of Kenneth J. Maier, M.D.