About this artwork
These multi-functional vessels served as both candleholders and room fresheners. Potpourri or burning pastilles were inserted at the foot of each vase, and the perfume was released through the intricate piercing along the sides and the bulblike projection between the candleholders. The resulting scent created the illusion that the porcelain flowers atop the vases were alive.
- Manufacture nationale de Sèvres (Manufacturer)
- Pair of Vases (Pots Pourris à Bobèches)
- Soft-paste porcelain, polychrome enamels, and gilding
- 1994.371.1: H. 24.1 cm (9 1/2 in.) 1994.371.2: H. 25.2 cm (9 7/8 in.)
- Joseph Maier and Arthur Lewis Liebman Memorial: Gift of Kenneth J. Maier, M.D.