About this artwork
Introduced to the misery of lower class life by her husband, a doctor for the poor, Käthe Kollwitz became a spokeswoman for the downtrodden. She abandoned painting in 1890, pursuing several print cycles, including the historically based Peasant War. This early charcoal study prepares for an etching from the series.
Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Käthe Kollwitz
- Sharpening the Scythe (Biem Dengeln)
- Charcoal and stumping, on ivory laid paper
- Signed lower right, in charcoal: "Käthe Kollwitz"
- 396 x 320 mm
- Margaret Fisher Endowment
- © 2018 Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York / VG Bild-Kunst, Bonn