About this artwork
The French elegance of Mignard and the classicism of Poussin can be seen in the work of Jan de Bisschop, who is known for the dramatic chiaroscuro and rich dark brown ink of his drawings.
- Jan de Bisschop
- The Coronation of the Virgin and The Flight into Egypt
- Pen and brown ink and brush and brown wash on ivory laid paper, laid down on cream laid paper
- Inscribed recto, lower right, in pen and brown ink: "A Bloemaert, fe/1626"
- 370 x 272 mm (primary/secondary supports)
- Margaret Day Blake Collection