About this artwork
Between 1979 and 1983 Joel Sternfeld traveled across the United States, making photographs with a large-format camera mounted on a tripod for a series called American Prospects. His wandering, on-the-road approach to picturing the American landscape coupled a sense of searching with being in the right place at the right time. Here Sternfeld transformed an elephant’s escape from a zoo into an image that reads like a movie still with an elevated vantage point and a wide frame that shows the bystanders and sheriff’s car.
- Currently Off View
- Photography and Media
- Joel Sternfeld
- Exhausted Renegade Elephant, Woodland, Washington
- United States (Artist's nationality)
- Made 1979
- Chromogenic print, from the series "American Prospects"
- Image: 40.5 × 50.9 cm (16 × 20 1/16 in.); Paper: 50.7 × 60.9 cm (20 × 24 in.)
- Gift of Ralph and Nancy Segall