About this artwork
Max Beckmann introduced his print cycle Hell with this image, also depicted on the cover of the portfolio with the following text: “Hell. (Grand Spectacle in ten images by Beckmann.) Honored ladies and gentlemen of the public, pray step up. We can offer you the pleasant prospect of ten minutes or so in which you will not be bored. Full satisfaction guaranteed, or else your money back.” In the manner of a street vender or hawker, Beckmann ironically encouraged the viewer to step into this world of supposed entertainment. The black dog at the bottom, reminiscent of Cerberus, signals the actual content of the images to follow.
Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Max Beckmann
- The Way Home, plate two from Die Hölle
- Transfer lithograph on tan imitation Japanese paper
- Signed, recto, lower right, in graphite: "Beckmann"; inscribed, recto, lower left, in graphite: "38/75"; lower center, in graphite: "Der Nachhauseweg"
- 715 x 480 mm (image); 873 x 615 mm (sheet)
- Restricted gift of Dr. and Mrs. Martin Gecht
- © 2018 Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York / VG Bild-Kunst, Bonn