About this artwork
This portrait had been thought to date about 1570, when Anna Maria of Austria married King Phillip II of Spain. It is likely, however, this refined intaglio image was carved after a contemporary painting but in the nineteenth century. The frame executed in a delicate process known as émail en résille sur verre emulated a seventeenth-century technique but was certainly done in the nineteenth century.
- Currently Off View
- Applied Arts of Europe
- Pendant with Intaglio Portrait of Anna of Austria in Enameled Frame
- France (Object made in)
- Intaglio: rock crystal Frame: enamel, glass, gold, and pearl
- Inscribed: "D'ANNA MARLE D'AVSTRICE R: D'SPAGE"
- 9.3 × 6.3 cm (3 7/8 × 1 5/8 in.)
- Gift of Marilynn B. Alsdorf