About this artwork
Among the most perplexing early prints produced in Italy are the 50 engraved tarocchi (tarot) cards created in Ferrara in the mid-15th century. Although the prints are the shape and size of playing cards, they do not form a full tarot deck, and it is not known if they were really intended for use. The complete Tarocchi series is divided into five thematic groups: Ranks and Conditions of Man; Apollo and the Muses; Liberal Arts; Geniuses and Virtues; and Firmaments of the Universe.
Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Master of the E-Series Tarocchi
- The Servant, plate two from The Ranks and Conditions of Men
- Engraving on ivory laid paper
- 179 × 101 mm (plate); 182 × 104 mm (sheet)
- Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Potter Palmer, Jr.