About this artwork
Jacques Bellange was among the most celebrated painters at the court of Lorraine, based 150 miles north of Paris in the sity of Nancy. Few of his paintings have survived, however, and he is appreciated today primarily for his drawings and etchings. The graceful elegance of the figures and the chiaroscuro effect of the brown wash in this drawing are trademarks of Bellange’s style.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Jacques Bellange
- The Holy Family Resting on the Flight into Egypt
- France (Artist's nationality)
- Pen and brown ink and brush and brown wash, with charcoal, heightened with white gouache, over black chalk, on cream laid paper
- Signed recto, lower right, in pen and brown ink: "J. de Bellange"; inscribed verso: "M.la H. / Mory / Le baroy / Lav ---"
- 24 × 20 cm (9 1/2 × 7 7/8 in.)
- Helen Regenstein Collection