Pen and brown ink with brush and grayish-brown wash, on ivory laid paper
288 x 215 mm
Robert A. Waller Fund
Extended information about this artwork
Hans Tietze, “Nuovi disegni veneti del Cinquecento in collezioni americane,” Arte Veneta (1948), pp. 56-65 (ill.), as by Veronese.
Harold Joachim and Suzanne Folds McCullagh, Italian Drawings in The Art Institute of Chicago (Chicago, 1979), pp. 35-36, no. 27, as by Veronese.
Robert Cocke, Veronese’s Drawings (Ithaca, 1984), no. 166, as not by Veronese.
Giulio Bora, “Tradizione luinesca da San Vittore a Meda a San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore,” Raccolta Vinciana XXIV (1992), pp. 155-79.
Suzanne Folds McCullagh and Laura M. Giles, Italian Drawings before 1600 in The Art Institute of Chicago: A Catalogue of the Collection (Chicago, 1997), no. 174.
Boston, Museum of Fine Arts, “Art in New England: Paintings, Drawings, Prints from Private Collections in New England,” June 9-September 10, 1939, cat. 217, as by Veronese.
The Art Institute of Chicago, “Drawings: Old and New,” 1946, p. 26, cat. 54, pl. VI, as by Veronese, cat. Carl Schniewind.
New York, Wildenstein and Company, “Master Drawings from The Art Institute of Chicago,” October 17-November 30, 1963, n.p., cat. 5, pl. V, as by Veronese.
Birmingham/Montgomery, “Veronese and His Studio in North American Collections,” 1972, p. 59, as by circle of Veronese.
Washington, D.C., International Exhibitions Foundation
“Venetian Drawings from American Collections,”
September 1974-April 1975, cat. 23, as by Veronese, cat. by Terisio Pignatti; traveled to Fort Worth, Tex., Kimbell Art Museum, and St. Louis, Mo., The St. Louis Art Museum.
Los Angeles County Museum of Art, “Old Master Drawings from American Collections,” April 20-June 8, 1976.
The Art Institute of Chicago, “Drawings Rediscovered: Italian Drawings before 1600 in The Art Institute of Chicago,” April 10-July 22, 1997.
The Art Institute of Chicago, “Strokes of Genius: Italian Drawings from the Goldman Collection,” November 1, 2014-February 1, 2015.
Leopold I, Fürst von Anhalt-Dessau (1676-1747) [Lugt Suppl. 1708b; stamp, verso, lower center, in black]. Philip Hofer (1898-1986), Camden, Maine, by 1939 [Boston 1939]. Sold by Durlacher Brothers, New York, to the Art Institute, 1941.
McCullagh & Giles 174
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email .