Red chalk (recto) and pen and brown ink (verso) on buff laid paper, pieced and laid down on buff laid paper
Inscribed recto, upper center in graphite: "That with 15th century writing / architectural drawings . .424/"; upper right, in pen and brown ink: "10"; lower left, in red crayon: "78"; inscribed verso, upper portion, in pen and brown ink: "Giovanni Francesco di Marcantonio . . . .Piccolomini. . . / . . .denno habere per insino questo di 24esimo di settembre nove / cento ottonta nove . . . sonno per li contant / mile quatrocento quindici . . . / hbbianno venduto francesco di . . . / . . . / . . . / . . ./ . . ."
243 × 184 mm
The Leonora Hall Gurley Memorial Collection
IIIF Manifest The International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF) represents a set of open standards that enables rich access to digital media from libraries, archives, museums, and other cultural institutions around the world.
Suzanne Folds McCullagh and Laura M. Giles, Italian Drawings before 1600 in The Art Institute of Chicago: A Catalogue of the Collection (Chicago, 1997), pp. 307-08, no. 414 (ill.).
R. Johnson [stamp (Lugt 2216), verso, laid down at lower left, in black]. Sold, Puttick & Simpson, London, July 23, 1915, to William F. E. Gurley (1854–1943), Chicago [stamp (Lugt 5308), recto, lower right, in black]; given to the Art Institute of Chicago for the Leonora Hall Gurley Memorial Collection, 1922 [stamp (Lugt 1230b), verso, lower left of center in black].
McCullagh & Giles 414
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email . Information about image downloads and licensing is available here.