About this artwork
The series History of the Unicorn, of which this engraving is a part, earned Duvet the title, “Master of the Unicorn.” Throughout the series, the unicorn serves as a symbol for Henry II and Diane de Poitiers.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Jean Duvet
- The Unicorn Purifying a Source
- France (Artist's nationality)
- Artist's working dates 1505–1570
- Etching and engraving on paper
- Plate: 22.3 × 39.9 cm (8 13/16 × 15 3/4 in.); Sheet: 22.7 × 40.2 cm (8 15/16 × 15 7/8 in.)
- Bequest of Mrs. Potter Palmer, Jr.