About this artwork
This late drawing reveals the melding of northern and southern Baroque influences that characterized the cosmopolitan court of Holy Roman Emperor Rudolf II (1552-1612). The drawing may relate to a painting of this subject, now lost, that was listed in the Emperor’s inventory.
- Currently Off View
- Prints and Drawings
- Johann von Aachen
- Germany (Artist's nationality)
- Black chalk and brush and gray wash, heightened with touches of white gouache, over traces of charcoal, on cream laid paper
- Inscribed recto, lower left, in pen and brown ink: "Guido Reni 1622"
- 18.9 × 14.8 cm (7 1/2 × 5 7/8 in.)
- Margaret Day Blake and Harold Joachim Endowments