About this artwork
Abraham’s Sacrifice of Isaac and The Rape of Europa are among the more than 200 lively, small-scale copies by David Teniers the Younger recording the superb art collection of his patron, Archduke Leopold Wilhelm of Austria, ruler of the Spanish Netherlands. They were created as models for the engraved illustrations in a catalogue of the archduke’s collection, which was printed and made available for purchase by the public as the Theatrum Pictorium (Theater of painting) in 1660. A prolific painter of peasant subjects and other everyday scenes, Teniers also served as the archduke’s curator.
- David Teniers, the younger
- Abraham's Sacrifice of Isaac
- Italy (Artist's nationality:)
- Oil on panel
- 20.9 × 30.7 cm (8 1/4 × 12 1/8 in.)
- Gift of Mrs. Charles L. Hutchinson