Inscribed, lower right, on rock: P.I. de Loutherbourg, R.A. / 1792
50 × 40 1/2 in. (127 × 102.3 cm)
Restricted gift of The Old Masters Society, Mrs. P. Kelley Armour and Mr. and Mrs. William B. Graham through The Old Masters Society; gift of Richard L. Feigen; Alexander A. McKay, Mr. and Mrs. Donald Patterson and Mr. and Mrs. Murray Vale endowments; through prior acquisitions of Max and Leola Epstein, William O. and Erna Sawyer Goodman Fund through Friends of American Art, Mrs. Robert Hall McCormick in memory of Robert Hall McCormick, and Dellora A. Norris
Extended information about this artwork
T.S.R. Boase, “Macklin and Bowyer,” Journal of the Warburg and Courtauld Institutes, 26 (1963), p. 167.
Rüdiger Joppien, “Mythology, Religion, History,” in Philippe Jacques de Loutherbourg, R.A., 1740-1812, exh. cat. Greater London Council, Kenwood, The Iveagh Bequest, 1973, n. pag.
Morton D. Paley, The Apocalyptic Sublime (New Haven and London, 1986), p. 55.
The Art Institute of Chicago Annual Report 1990-91 (Chicago, 1991), pp. 19, 46 (ill.).
Gloria Groom, “Art, Illustration, and Enterprise in Late Eighteenth-Century English Art: A Painting by Philippe Jacques de Loutherbourg,” Museum Studies 18, no.2 (1992), pp. 124-135, 184-187, fig. 1.
Malcolm Warner in Susan Wise and Malcolm Warner, French and British Paintings from 1600 to 1800 in The Art Institute of Chicago (Princeton, NJ, 1996), pp. 254-257 (ill.).
London, Poets’ Gallery, Fleet Street, Sixth Exhibition of Pictures, Painted for T. Macklin, by the Artists of Britain; Illustrative of the British Poets, and the Bible, 1793, cat. 71.
Houston, Congregation Emmanu-El, Festival of the Bible in the Arts, January 25 - February 29, 1964, cat. 10.
Commissioned by Thomas Macklin (died 1800), London for the Macklin Bible. International Galleries, Chicago, 1963-64; sold to Jackie Proler, Houston, Texas, 1964 [letter of November 17 , 1994 from R. Stanley Johnson]; sold Christie’s, New York, May 31, 1989, lot 118 to Richard L. Feigen [with Jan Cohen as agent, according to letter of October 26, 1994 from Cohen]; sold to the Art Institute, 1991.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email .