Burlington Magazine 42, no. 238 (January, 1923), p. vii .
Old Masters in the Collection of Max Epstein (Chicago, 1928), n. p., ill.
Paintings in the Art Institute of Chicago, A Catalogue of the Picture Collection (Chicago, 1961), p. 112.
Saskia Nystad, “Een relatie tussen Jan van de Capelle, Gerbrand van den Eeckhout en Jan van Noordt?” Tableau 3 (1981), p. 712 n. 1.
Werner Sumowski, Gemälde der Rembrandt-Schüler, vol. 1 (Landau/Pfalz, 1983), pp. 140, 143 n. 80, 185, ill.
J. Bruyn, review of Sumowski, Gemälde der Rembrandt-Schüler, vol. 1 in Oud Holland 98 (1984), p. 150.
David A. de Witt, Jan van Noordt: Painter of History and Portraits in Amsterdam (Montreal and Kingston, London and Ithaca, 2007), p. 259, R 50, ill.
University of Chicago, Renaissance Society Galleries, Max Epstein Memorial Exhibition, May 3 – May 14, 1955, no. 4.
Sir Wroth Lethbridge, Sandhill Park, Bishop’s Lydeard, near Taunton, Somerset [according to a hand-written label formerly on the back of the canvas, preserved in the conservation file; both the 4th baronet (died 1902) and the 5th baronet were named Sir Wroth]. Ehrich Galleries, New York, by January 1923 [see Burlington Magazine 1923]; sold to Max Epstein, Chicago, by June, 1923 when it was lent to the Art Institute [receipt R1091 in Registrar’s office], died 1954; bequeathed to the Art Institute, 1954.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email . Information about image downloads and licensing is available here.