Two-Handled Covered Cup

Shiny silver cup with lid, two handles with leaf designs
CC0 Public Domain Designation

Image actions

  • Shiny silver cup with lid, two handles with leaf designs

Date:

1698/1720

Artist:

Cornelius Kierstede
American, 1674–1757
New York

About this artwork

This luxurious vessel, by one of New York’s foremost early silversmiths, was used to serve syllabub, a sweetened or flavored wine, cider, beer, or ale into which milk was whipped. The cover helped preserve the frothy drink and also, using its three equidistant handles as legs, could be inverted into a stand for the cup. The vessel bears the mark CK, standing for Cornelius Kierstede, a third-generation New York silversmith of Dutch descent. Kierstede opened a shop around 1698 in New York, where he worked, off and on, until moving to New Haven, Connecticut, in the early 1720s. Like the Van Cortlandt family, who commissioned this cup and whose coat of arms it bears, and the Stuyvesant family, whose descendants owned the object until the Art Institute acquired it, the majority of Kierstede’s patrons were wealthy Dutch colonists. This cup is one of four nearly identical pieces made during the same period by Kierstede and two other well-known New York silversmiths. Evolved from English prototypes, all four have the same nearly straight sides, scroll-like handles, and slightly domed cover as well as variations of the embossed acanthus-leaf ornament.

On View

American Art, Gallery 165

Artist

Cornelius Kierstede

Title

Two-Handled Covered Cup

Origin

New York

Date

1698–1720

Medium

Silver

Inscriptions

Marked on side of each handle and three times on the lid: "CK" in rectangle; engraved on body of cup: the Van Cortlandt family arms; engraved on bottom of cup, in a period hand: ">M C L<" and at a later date: "Petrus Stuyvesant/ married/ M.C. Livingston/ 1730;" engraved on underside lip of cover: "MCL."

Dimensions

12.7 × 20.3 × 12.7 cm (5 3/8 × 8 5/8 × 5 3/4 in.); 677.4 g

Credit Line

Restricted gift of Mrs. James W. Alsdorf, Pauline Seipp Armstrong, Marshall Field, Charles C. Haffner III, Mrs. Burton W. Hales, Mrs. Harold T. Martin, Mrs. C. Phillip Miller, Mr. and Mrs. Milo M. Naeve, Mrs. Eric Oldberg, Mrs. Frank L. Sulzberger, and the Ethel T. Scarborough Fund

Reference Number

1984.1132

Extended information about this artwork

Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email .

Share

Sign up for our enewsletter to receive updates.

Learn more

Image actions

Share