About this artwork
One of the Isles of Shoals located off the coast of Maine and New Hampshire, Appledore Island was the home of the poet Celia Thaxter and attracted numerous artists and writers to its rocky shores during the late 19th century. The Little Pond, Appledore dates from Childe Hassam’s first summer sojourn there, after three years spent working in Europe, and reflects his burgeoning interest in the bright palette, broken brushwork, and dramatic light effects of Impressionist painting.
- On View, Gallery 171
- Arts of the Americas
- Childe Hassam
- The Little Pond, Appledore
- New Hampshire (Place depicted)
- Oil on canvas
- signed, lower right: "Childe Hassam 1890"
- 40.6 × 55.8 cm (16 × 22 in.)
- Through prior acquisition of the Friends of American Art and the Walter H. Schulze Memorial collections