marked "J. CRAWFORD" in rectangle; script initials "G.L.S." engraved on side of all pieces; additional inscription on teapot in script; "1818/GLS/LSS 1854/FLS 1884/LDS 1914" and on reverse side; "1954/WMS/1958/SS"
Coffeepot: H.: 28.7 cm (11 1/4 in.); Teapot: H.: 26.7 cm (10 1/2 in.); Milk pot: H.: 19.4 cm (7 5/8 in.); Sugar basin: H.: 24.7 cm (9 3/4 in.)
Gift of Antiquarian Society through Mrs. John S. Garvin in honor of her parents Mr. and Mrs. William M. Spencer
Extended information about this artwork
Milo M. Naeve, Lynn Springer Roberts, et. al, A Decade of Decorative Arts: The Antiquarian Society of the Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago: Art Institute of Chicago, 1986, no. 64 (ill.).
Chicago, Art Institute of Chicago, A Decade of Decorative Arts: The Antiquarian Society of the Art Institute of Chicago, Nov 12 1986 – Jan 4, 1987, no. 64 (ill.).
Giles and Laura Sanford (m. 1816), New York, NY, 1818; to their daughter Lavinia Sanford (m. Judah Colt Spencer), 1854; to Frances Lavinia Spencer, 1884; to her sister Lavinia Deborah Spencer Spaulding (d. 1929) (m. Bishop John Franklin Spaulding), on their 50th wedding anniversary; to their children, 1929; to William Marvin Spencer, nephew of Frances Lavinia Spencer and Lavinia Deborah Spencer Spaulding), 1954; to his daughter, Suzanne Spencer (Mrs. John S.) Garvin, Winnetka, IL, 1958; gift to the Art Institute of Chicago, 1984.
Object information is a work in progress and may be updated as new research findings emerge. To help improve this record, please email . Information about image downloads and licensing is available here.