The Greenmap Project
New East Side/Streeterville
Hyo-Ju Chun, Nicole Davis, Yong Suk Kwon, Austin Meredith, Matthew Thiesen, Marc Witmer, Kate Bae, Bianca Barattini, Liise Cheney, Jonathan Durre, Ann Hay Hardy, Ah Kang, Hae Ji Kang, Minhye Kang, Jung-Jin Kim, Weun Ah Kim, Shi Nae Kon
The first inhabitants, the Native Americans, loved this area and respected the lake, trees, animals and nature in general. The Pottawattomie and other regional tribes used two famous trails, known today as Rogers Avenue and Ridge Avenue. Phillip Rogers was a pioneer who bought many acres of trackless land. The first residents of Rogers Park were from predominantly Luxemburg, Germany, but also included immigrants from Ireland and England. Much of this immigration occurred between the 1830 and 1850. The majority of the land was set aside for farming. Many things were cultivated including hay and pickles. At the time, the price of land was approximately $1.25 an acre. Rogers Park annexed to Chicago in 1893.
Home Made Transfer War
In 1893, a Home-Made Transfer War took place in which residents protested against what they believed to be an overpriced mass transportation system. At this time most of the saloons operated without a legal license because of the Four Mile Limit law. This law stated that alcohol could not be served within four miles of a university. The farmers banded together to abolish this rule. The famous Golden Pheasants in Lincoln Park are originally from a large farm in Rogers Park. Property values skyrocketed in the 120 years since Rogers Park was first claimed; the Clark and Morse corner cost twelve cents in 1836 compared to a cost of $50,000 in 1956.
A Changing Neighborhood
In 1957 the neighborhood was noted for having rising property value and increasing commercial appeal. However, due to the fluctuating socio-economic climate, the neighborhood was making plans to avoid becoming a blight zone by 1958. Howard K Hurwith, bank owner and property holder, developed plans to save the community from the encroaching deterioration. As a result of his investment in the cause, streets were widened, schools were improved, and streetlamps and storefronts were updated. 1967 most residents were of Russian, German, and Polish descent. However, this demographic changed rapidly due to the increasing integration of other cultures into the area. Currently, the total value of residential property equals 151,051,500 dollars. Of this sum Caucasians own 127,136,500 dollars worth of property. The other ethnic groups only own 23,915,000 dollars of the residential land.