This building, the first for this congregation, was dedicated on January 13, 1901. It was demolished in 1925 to make way for the church presently occupying the site at 2649 N. Francisco Ave. which also vacated the 2800 block of W. Schubert St. where Cobb's building originally stood. American Contractor's Chicago building permit database reported the issuance of a building permit for this structure on November 10, 1900, p.20.
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish Building
c.746-804 W. Belmont Ave. (originally 1608-1704 Belmont), Chicago, IL Henry Ives Cobb, 1902
American Contractor's Chicago building permit database reported the issuance of a building permit for this structure on August 30, 1902, p.24. This building was likely demolished for the construction of the church currently extant on this site.
5 hours 47 min ago The Art Institute of Chicago “The animal’s frightening features—scales, claws, eyes—extend above the surface of the canvas and virtually come alive.”
ARTicle’s Work of the Week gets a new home in our reinstalled galleries of Medieval and Renaissance art, arms, and armor.
1 day 2 hours ago The Art Institute of Chicago Mary Cassatt was the only American artist to exhibit with the original Impressionist group. This sensitive portrayal of a mother and child reflects the most advanced 19th-century ideas about raising children. Scientists and physicians of the day encouraged mothers (instead of wet nurses and nannies) to care for their children and to include regular bathing in their hygiene practices to prevent disease. #5WomenArtists
See three paintings by Mary Cassatt now on view: http://bit.ly/2nl9Z68
Image: [Now on view in Gallery 273] Mary Cassatt. The Child's Bath, 1893. Robert A. Waller Fund.