Definitive locations unknown (originally 475 N. Water St., 581 N. Water St.), Chicago, IL Henry Ives Cobb, 1900-1903
These buildings were probably located on an extension of E. North Water Street (near Seneca St.) which is now vacated. American Contractor's Chicago building permit database reports the issuance of a building permit for 475 N. Water St. on April 7, 1900, p.25 and for 581 N. Water St. on August 3, 1901, p.28 (completed 1903).
Chicago Dock and Canal Company Buildings
Various locations, Chicago, IL Henry Ives Cobb, 1901-1902
In 1901, a building for the Chicago Dock and Canal Company was erected at 337-351 E. Illinois St., (originally 434-448 Illinois). As described in Frank Randall's "History of the development of building construction in Chicago," this building was six stories and of mill construction (masonry walls with heavy timber columns and beams, Randall, p.257). In 1902, an additional building was constructed at c.250 E. Illinois St., (originally 380-388 Illinois). Finally, in 1903, a building was erected at what was originally 505-525 W. Water St. The definitive location of this building is unknown but likely was on an extension of E. North Water Street (near Seneca St.) which is now vacated, or possibly near the junction of 24th St., Lowe Ave. and the Chicago River. Permits for 337-351 E. Illinois St. dated November 16, 1901 (p.23); c.250 E. Illinois St. dated October 11, 1902, (p.24); and 505-525 W. Water St. dated March 28, 1903, (p.26) can be found in the American Contractor's Chicago building permit database. These buildings are no longer extant.
Patten, James A., Buildings
S. Financial Pl. (originally Sherman St.), Chicago, IL Henry Ives Cobb, 1902-1903
The building permit for this first Patten structure, at 624-632 S. Financial Pl. (originally 120-130 Sherman St.), is documented in American Contractor's Chicago building permit database, November 22, 1902, (p.22). Barely a month later a second permit was issued on January 3, 1903 (p.35) for the adjacent lot to the north at 618-620 S. Financial Pl. (originally 114-116 Sherman St.). The six-story building at 624-632 S. Financial Pl. was demolished in 1938, a year before the neighboring Patten building at 618-620 S. Financial Pl.
Hartford Building Annex
57-61 W. Madison St. (originally 100-102 W. Madison St.), Chicago, IL Henry Ives Cobb, 1903
The now demolished Hartford Building was built in two phases: the first in 1893, the second in 1903 (see Commercial: 1900– and undated). Cobb achieved a high degree of structural and stylistic unity between the two parts. He opened the wall into a visual and structural glass-and-stone envelope for the steel frame. The first four stories had very large, almost square openings surrounded by smooth stone. Projecting bays alternated with sensitively-scaled windows flush with the surface. Above the twelfth story was a light cornice and above the fourteenth was a massive one on corbels. These bays contributed visual interest to the extreme simplicity of the building, emphasizing its three-dimensionality and furthering the rhythm of its fenestration. American Contractor's Chicago building permit database reports the issuance of a building permit on April 4, 1903, p.38.
22 hours 49 min ago The Art Institute of Chicago “Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.”
Happy birthday to Pablo Picasso. See 16 works by the modern master now on view: http://bit.ly/2e7oQtD