Presenting over 300 objects drawn from public and private collections across North America—as well as the Art Institute’s own important collection of Irish decorative and fine arts—this exhibition is the first to explore the rich and complex art and culture of Ireland during the long 18th century.
The seeds for the exhibition were first planted by historian Desmond Fitzgerald, 29th Knight of Glin, who in his 2007 book, Irish Furniture, outlined his vision for “a major exhibition on Ireland’s decorative arts of the 18th century, which would . . . waken up the world to a staggering array of art that was manufactured in Ireland during this period.” Surprisingly, such an exhibition has never before been undertaken on either side of the Atlantic. Ireland: Crossroads of Art and Design, 1690–1840 expands on the Knight of Glin’s vision to also include paintings, sculpture, and architecture. Irish book bindings, ceramics, glass, furniture, metalwork, musical instruments, and textiles are also featured in a series of “Made in Ireland” galleries highlighting Dublin, Cork, Belfast, and Waterford as centers of production.
Ever since the agricultural depression in the British Isles in the 1880s, many extraordinary objects from Ireland have come to the United States and Canada. Today they are scattered in locations from Honolulu to Boston and from Ottawa, Ontario, to San Antonio, Texas. These often little-known objects come together for the first time in this pioneering exhibition and the accompanying catalogue, which includes the latest scholarship by some of Ireland’s most respected historians. Works of art representing 24 Irish counties are installed in ten galleries focusing on such themes as the history of Ireland through portraiture; Dublin as a center of commerce, culture, and government; Irish landscapes and tourism; and life in the Irish country house.
The Art Institute of Chicago is not only the first but the only venue to present this show celebrating the Irish as artists, collectors, and patrons—a fitting tribute to Chicago’s own deep Irish roots.
Sponsors Lead funding has been generously provided by Kay and Fred Krehbiel, Jay Frederick Krehbiel, and the Krehbiel Family Foundation.
Lead Corporate Sponsor
Major support has been provided by Molex, Incorporated; Neville and John Bryan; Caryn and King Harris, The Harris Family Foundation; the Eloise W. Martin Legacy Fund; and R. J. O'Brien & Associates LLC and Patricia and John O’ Brien.
Additional support has been generously contributed by The Richard H. Driehaus Foundation, Maureen O’Malley Savaiano, The Buchanan Family Foundation in honor of Katherine H. Buchanan, Pamela and Roger Hull, Patrick and Aimee Butler Foundation, Richard and Ann Carr, Art and Diane Kelly, Maureen and Edward Byron Smith Jr. Family Endowment Fund, Doris and Stanford Marks, Philip and Betsey C. Caldwell Foundation, the Irish Georgian Society, Shawn M. Donnelley and Christopher M. Kelly, The Felicia Fund, Inc., Ellen and Jim O'Connor, the Paul Mellon Centre for Studies in British Art, Ronald and Rose Wanke, Gloria G. Gottlieb, and Steven J. Zick.
Annual support for Art Institute exhibitions is provided by the Exhibitions Trust: Kenneth and Anne Griffin, Robert M. and Diane v. S. Levy, Thomas and Margot Pritzker, and the Earl and Brenda Shapiro Foundation.
2 days 7 hours ago The Art Institute of Chicago TOMORROW at 4:00—See the world premiere of “The Electric Stage” by performance collective Manual Cinema.
Manual Cinema uses vintage overhead projectors, multiple screens, puppets, actors, live camera feeds, sound design, and a live music ensemble to create immersive visual stories on stage and screen.
2 days 10 hours ago The Art Institute of Chicago A Sunday on La Grande Jatte has been among the museum’s most beloved paintings since it first entered the collection in 1926. ARTicle celebrates the birthday of Georges Seurat, with some fun facts about this pointillist masterpiece.
3 days 2 hours ago The Art Institute of Chicago #TBT Ladies strike a pose in Blackstone Hall, 1909.
Demolished in 1958, the enormous two-story gallery once spanned the area between where the Asian art and Prints and Drawings galleries are today and housed over 150 plaster cast sculptures, many replicas of Greek and Roman art received as gifts from the French government.