You are here

The Curse of the Mummy

mummyLOWRES

You may remember reading a post a few months back about a mummy who recently returned to the museum after being on loan for 50 years. According to one of the museum's volunteers, some interesting things have been going on since she arrived. . .

In my capacity as a volunteer, I research objects in the Ancient Art collection. In the spring of 2009, I was asked to see what I could find out about the museum’s mummy then known as "Wenuhotep." She had just returned to the Art Institute after residing at the Children's Museum in Indianapolis for about 50 years. Before that, she had been at the Oriental Institute in Chicago. And for 40 years before that, she had been at the Art Institute. Before that, she had been in Egypt. It is a long story. . .

Anyway, I was happily working at my computer in the Ancient Art office at the museum, when my research suddenly started to disappear from my screen, one page at a time. I’ve heard about the need to constantly save and backup documents, but I’ve also heard about the curse of the mummy. Was this the curse in action? Unable to think of a technical explanation for the “unraveling” of my research, I got spooked and immediately left the building. The good news is I have a hard copy of my research, but I just don’t know when I’ll get it back to the department. Could I have uncovered something about the mummy that she doesn’t want the world to know? More to come, so stay tuned.

—Cynthia P., Ancient Art Volunteer