- Shop Online
- Join and Give
Timeline: When in Africa, When in the WorldThis comparative time line illustrating works of art from the Art Institute’s collection presents a selection of events—artistic, cultural, political, and social—from the origins of human aesthetic expression to the present day. It foregrounds events in the history of the African continent in order to highlight their juxtaposition with events around the globe.
Africa, African, Benin, biblical themes, Buddhism, Chicago, Chinese, culture, England, Europe, India, Islam, Mediterranean, Middle East, painting, Pakistan, Paris, Persian, photography, Pop Art, religion, Roman, Roman Empire, sculpture, South America, textiles, war, World War II
See More Related
Amadeo de Souza Cardoso, Amedeo Modigliani, Jean Hey, (the Master of Moulins), Roy Lichtenstein, Philipp Hainhofer, Willem de Kooning, Walter Ellison, Olowe of Ise, Mackay Hugh Baillie Scott, Joel Sternfeld, Fazal Sheikh, Yinka Shonibare, Pierre-Auguste Renoir
- Jar, Predynastic Gerzean Period (c. 3500–3050 B.C.)
- Mummy Portrait of a Man, 2nd century A.D.
- Tetradrachm (Coin) Portraying Alexander the Great, 306-281 B.C., Issued by King Lysimachus of Thrace
- Portrait of Emperor Hadrian, 2nd century A.D.
- Relief of a Falling Warrior, 2nd century A.D.
- Pectoral Disk (Akrafokonmu or Awisiado), Probably 1920s
- Kente-style Wrapper, 1900/25
- Coronation Stone of Motecuhzoma II (Stone of the Five Suns), 1503
- Manxman Pianoforte, 1897
- Horse and Rider and Four Figures, Probably late 14th/early 15th century
- Solidus (Coin) of Basil I of Christ Enthroned, A.D. 868–870
- Head of a Male Deity (Deva), Angkor period, late 12th-early 13th century
- Cong, Neolithic period, Liangzhu culture, c. 3000/2000 B.C.
- Globular Jar with Ring Handles, Western Han dynasty (206 B.C.–A.D. 9), 1st century B.C.
- Rectangular Cauldron (Fangding), Shang dynasty (c. 1600–1050 B.C.)
- Shallow Dish with Long-Tailed Birds in a Garden of Stylized Peonies and Fronds, Encircled by a Scrolling Wreath of Camellia and Lotus Blossoms, Yuan dynasty (1279–1368), early/mid-14th century
- Vestment (For a First-degree Taoist Priest), Qing dynasty (1644–1911), 1825/75
- Excavation, 1950
- Face Jug, c. 1860
- Oba's Altar Tusk, 1850/1888
- Plaque of a War Chief, 16th/17th century
- Train Station, 1935
- Processional Cross, Mid-/late 15th century
- The Miracles of Mary (Te'amire Maryam), Late 17th century, reign of Yohannes (1667–82) or Iyyasu I (1682–1706)
- Abraham Lincoln, modeled 1916; cast after 1916
- The Birth and the First Seven Steps of the Buddha, Kushan period, c. 2nd/3rd century
- Reliquary with Tooth of Saint John the Baptist, Metalwork: 1375/1400
Rock crystal vessel: c. 1000
Egypt, Fatimid Dynasty (909–1171)
- Cabinet, c. 1660
- The Annunciation, 1490/95
- Four Recruits in White Dhotis, page from the Fraser Album, Company School, c. 1815/16
- Dish (Tabaq) with Scale Pattern and Serrated Leaves, Ottoman dynasty (1299-1923), late 16th century
- Page from a Copy of The Qur'an, 9th/10th century
- Commodore Perry, c. 1853/54
- Seated Bodhisattva, c. 775 A.D.
- Brushstroke with Spatter, 1966
- Vessel of the Dancing Lords, A.D. 750/800
- Madam Pompadour, 1915
- A Procession Scene with Musicians, from a copy of the Padshanama, Mughal period, mid 17th century
- Container with Lid, Mid-/late 19th century
- Standing Figurine, 800/400 B.C.
- Acrobats at the Cirque Fernando (Francisca and Angelina Wartenberg), 1879
- Nyapa Deng and Her Daughter, Sudanese Refugee Camp, Lokichoggio, 1992/93
- Feather Pink, 1997
- The Leap of the Rabbit, 1911
- AIDS Walk, New York City, May, 1986,"10,083 Dead", May 1986, printed October 1986
- Chair (Kiti Cha Enzi), 19th century
- Mural Fragment Representing a Ritual of World Renewal, A.D. 500/600
- Power Figure (Nkisi Nkondi), Early/mid-19th century
- Veranda Post of Enthroned King and Senior Wife (Opo Ogoga), 1910/14
- Figural Box, Early 20th century