Born Moscow, 1900; died Moscow, 1976
From 1914 to 1917, Konstantin Aleksandrovich Vialov studied textile design at the Stroganov School for Technical Drawing in Moscow. Following the Revolution, he continued his education in the school’s successor, GSKhM, under Vasilii Kandinsky, Aleksei Morgunov, and Vladimir Tatlin. He then entered VKhUTEMAS to study painting under Aristarkh Lentulov and David Shterenberg. By the early 1920s, he was producing counter-reliefs, Constructivist sculptures, and abstract paintings. From 1922 to 1925, he served as head of the Studio of Visual Arts for Teenagers, operated by Narkompros. During the 1920s, he began to design posters, illustrate books, and construct theatrical sets in Moscow. In 1932 he joined the Moscow branch of the Union of Artists. Between December 1941 and August 1945, he designed around twenty-six posters for the TASS studio. After the war, he was active as a painter.
Konstantin Aleksandrovich Vialov. Untitled, May 29, 1944. Gift of the USSR Society for Cultural Relations with Foreign Countries.