Born Novobelitsa, Belarus, 1903; died Moscow, 1987
Georgii Grigor’evich Nisskii studied at VKhUTEMAS/VKhUTEIN from 1922 to 1930, where he joined the Department of Painting in 1923 to study with Aleksandr Drevin and Robert Fal’k, among others. In 1925 he joined OST. Over the following decade, he became active as a painter of landscapes and seascapes. During World War II, he painted numerous naval battles and illustrated historical novels about the Russian navy. He designed ten posters and window-paintings for the TASS studio between July 1941 and November 1942. After the war, he painted landscapes and railway scenes. In 1958 he was elected a full member of the Academy of Arts of the USSR, and in 1964 he was given the honorific title People’s Artist of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic.
Georgii Grigor'evich Nisskii and Vasilii Ivanovich Lebedev-Kumach. The Red Fleet Has One Mission, September 28, 1942. Ne boltai! Collection.