Northern Italian, Milan
Half Armor for Foot Tourney at the Barriers, 1575/80
Steel with gilding, brass, leather, velvet weave, lace
H. 96.5 cm (38 in.)
Weight: 38 lb. 13 oz.
George F. Harding Collection, 1982.2172a-o
In the 16th century, Italian armorers produced spectacular armor garnitures for noblemen, professional officers, and bodyguards in the service of princely courts. An armor garniture consisted of many matching, interchangeable pieces that could be added or removed from basic field armor to make it suitable for different occasions. Like jousting armor, this armor for foot tourneys at the barriers—a sporting event in which knights on foot approached each other on opposite sides of a barrier—is quite specialized. It includes a close helmet that locked onto and rotated on the gorget (collar) and asymmetrical pauldrons (shoulder defenses) that provided maneuverability and protection from thrusting across the barrier. The blemish on the helmet of this armor, just above the eye slit, is the result of a glancing blow. This armor, embellished with gilded radiating bands contrasted with steel bands, as well as the Three-Quarter Armor, belonged to the Spanish Marquesses de Dos Aguas.
— Permanent collection label
"Italian Armor for Princely Courts: Renaissance Armor from the Trupin Family Trust and the George F. Harding Collection" / AIC, 1986.
Walter Karchieski, "Arms and Armor in the Art Institute of Chicago" (Art Institute of Chicago/Little, Brown, and Company, 1995), p. 47 (ill.)