Vessel Depicting a Composite Shark, Feline, and Human Figure

View enlargement
Email to a friend
Print this page

Nazca
South coast, Peru

Vessel Depicting a Composite Shark, Feline, and Human Figure, 180 B.C./A.D. 500

Ceramic and pigment
18.6 x 17.2 cm (7 5/16 x 6 3/4 in.)
Kate S. Buckingham Endowment, 1955.2100

Exhibition, Publication and Ownership Histories

Exhibition History

Art Institute of Chicago, The Ancient Americas: Art from Sacred Landscapes, October 10, 1992–January 3, 1993, cat. pp. 292, 379; traveled to Houston, Museum of Fine Arts, February 4–April 18, 1993, and Los Angeles Country Museum of Art, June 6–August 15, 1993.

Zurich, Switzerland, Museum Rietberg Zurich, Nasca: Geheimnisvolle Zeichen im Alten Peru, June 20–October 3, 1999, cat.; traveled to Vienna, Museum fur Volkerkunde, October 29, 1999–January 31, 2000.

Publication History

George Kubler, The Art and Architecture of Ancient America (Baltimore, 1962), pg. 145, fig. A.

Allen Wardwell, Primitive Art in the Collections of the Art Institute of Chicago (Art Institute of Chicago, 1965), fig. 11 (ill.).

Richard Townsend, “Deciphering the Nazca World: Ceramic Images from Ancient Peru,” Art Institute of Chicago Museum Studies 11, 2 (Spring 1985), pg. 117 (ill.).

Richard F. Townsend, ed., The Ancient Americas: Art from Sacred Landscapes, exh. cat. (Art Institute of Chicago/Prestel Verlag, 1992), pp. 292 (ill.).

Speight and Toki. Hands in Clay (McGraw Hill Higher Education, July 2003).

Art Institute of Chicago. News and Events. July/August, 2003, p. 25 (ill.).

Alexandra Ambrose, McGraw-Hill Image Vault(McGraw-Hill Higher Education, 2005).

Alexanra Ambrose, Art Across Time, 3E (Graw-Hill Higher Education, 2005).

Ownership History

Eduard Gaffron (1861–1931), Lima, Peru, from 1892 to 1912, then Berlin, from [History of the Department report (Joanne Behrens, 1985) and correspondence in curatorial file]; by descent to his children Mercedes Gaffron, Berlin then Durham S.C. and Hans Gaffron (1902–1979), Berlin then Chicago [correspondence and documentation of the Gaffron Collection in curatorial file]; sold to the Art Institute, 1955.