Ica Valley, south coast, Peru
Beaker, Late 15th/early 16th century
16.5 x 6.4 cm (6 1/2 x 2 1/2 in.)
Kate S. Buckingham Endowment, 1955.2587
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, The Gold of Ancient America, Dec. 5, 1968–Jan. 12, 1969, cat. no. 28; traveled to The Art Institute of Chicago, Feb. 1–Mar. 9, 1969, and Virginia Museum, Mar. 24–Apr. 20, 1969.
New Haven, Conn., Peabody Musem of Natural History, Machu Picchu: Unveiling the Mystery of the Incas, January 26–May 4, 2003, cat.; traveled to Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, June 22, 2003–September 7, 2003, Pittsburgh, Penn., Carnegie Museum of Natural History, October 18, 2003–January 4, 2004, Denver Museum of Nature and Science, February 13–May 9, 2004, Houston Museum of Natural Science, June 12–August 29, 2004, Chicago, Field Museum, October 8, 2004–February 1, 2005.
Walter Lehmann and Dr. Heinrich Doering, Kunstgeschichte des Alten Peru (Verlag Ernst Wasmuth A.G., 1924), pl. 103 (ill.).
Walter Lehmann and Heinrich Doering, Ph.D., The Art of Old Peru (Ernst Wasmuth Ltd., 1924), pl. 103 (ill.).
Heinrich U. Doering, Old Peruvian Art (E. Weyhe, 1936), pl. 40 (ill.).
Heinrich Ubbelohde-Doering, The Art of Ancient Peru (Frederick A. Praeger, 1952), pl. 85 (ill.).
Heinrich Ubbelohde-Doering, The Art of Ancient Peru, 2nd ed., (Frederick A. Praeger, 1954), pl. 85 (ill.).
Allen Wardwell, Primitive Art in the Collections of the Art Institute of Chicago (Art Institute of Chicago, 1965), fig. 3 (ill.).
Allen Wardwell, The Gold of Ancient America, exh. cat. (Museum of Fine Arts, Boston; Art Institute of Chicago; and Virginia Museum with New York Graphic Society, 1968), pp. 42-43, fig. 28 (ill.)
Walter Lehmann and Heinrich Doering, The Art of Old Peru, reissued (Hacker Art Books, 1975), pl. 103 (ill.).
Eduard Gaffron (1861–1931), Lima, Peru, from 1892 to 1912, then Berlin, from [History of the Department report (Joanne Behrens, 1985) and correspondence in curatorial file]; by descent to his children Mercedes Gaffron, Berlin then Durham S.C. and Hans Gaffron (1902–1979), Berlin then Chicago [correspondence and documentation of the Gaffron Collection in curatorial file]; sold to the Art Institute, 1955.