About This Artwork

Edouard Vuillard
French, 1868-1940

Guelder Roses and the Venus of Milo, 1905

Oil on cardboard
28 3/4 x 24 1/2 in. (76 x 62.4 cm)
Signed and dated, l.l.: "E Vuillard 1905"

Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Sterling Morton, 1959.4

© 2017 Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York / ADAGP, Paris

Exhibition, Publication and Ownership Histories

Exhibition History

Paris, Petit Palais, Les maîtres de l'art indépendant, 1895-1937, June–October 1937, room 15, cat. 1.

New York, Wildenstein & Co., Magic of Flowers in Painting, April 13–May 15, 1954, cat. 81 (ill.).

New York, The Jewish Museum, Edouard Vuillard: A Painter and his Muses, 1890-1940. May 4- September 23, 2012.

Publication History

“Mrs. Morton’s Bequest,” Calendar of The Art Institute of Chicago, LXIV, no. 1 (January 1970), pp. 4-5 (ill.).

Richard R. Brettel, Post-Impressionists (Chicago and New York, 1987).

The Art Institute of Chicago, The Art Institute of Chicago: Twentieth-Century Painting and Sculpture (Chicago, 1996), p. 14 (ill.).

Antoine Salomon and Guy Cogeval, Vuillard: The Inexhaustible Glance: Critical Catalogue of Paintings and Pastels, Milan, Skira, 2003, vol. 2, no. VII-497 (ill.).

Stephan Brown, "An Artist, His Patrons, and the Muses", Edouard Vuillard: A Painter and His Musese, 1890-1940, Exh, cat (The Jewish Museum, 2012), p. 30.

Ownership History

Purchased from the artist by Bernheim-Jeune, Paris [stock no. 14988, as Boules de neige], 15 May 1906, 500 francs. Druet, Paris, 19 Sept. 1906, with Pot de fleurs (coquelicots), [stock no. 14736] 2,000 francs. Sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 20 Nov. 1922, lot 85. Gérard frères, Paris, 8,500 francs. Georges Bernheim, Paris. Bernheim-Jeune, Paris [stock no. 23474] 20 June 1923, 11,500 francs. Georges Bénard, Paris, 5 Jan. 1924, 15,000 francs. Bénard sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 9 June 1933, lot 88. Édouard Jonas, Paris, 28,500 francs. Mrs H. Harris Jonas, New York, c. 1954. Justin K. Thannhauser Gallery, New York, by November 3, 1958 [letter from K. Kuh, November 3, 1958 in curatorial file]; sold to Mr. and Mrs. Sterling Morton, Chicago, December 1958 [letter of December 20, 1958 in curatorial file]; given to the Art Institute of Chicago, 1959.




View mobile website