About This Artwork

Auguste Herbin
French, 1882–1960

House and Flowering Cherry Trees, Hamburg, 1907

Oil on canvas
58.9 x 73.3 cm (23 3/16 x 28 7/8 in.)
Sign: Herbin nr. low. cor. 2 1/2" fr. cor.

Arthur Jerome Eddy Memorial Collection, 1931.507

© 2018 Artists Rights Society (ARS), New York / ADAGP, Paris

Exhibition, Publication and Ownership Histories

Exhibition History

Art Institute of Chicago, Exhibition of Paintings from the Collection of the Late Arthur Jerome Eddy, September 19–October 22, 1922, cat. 24, as House and Flowering Cherry Frees, Hamburg.

The Art Institute of Chicago, Exhibition of the Arthur Jerome Eddy Collection of Modern Paintings and Sculpture, December 22, 1931–January 17, 1932, cat. 5, as House and Flowering Cherry Trees: Hamburg.

Publication History

Art Institute of Chicago, Exhibition of Paintings from the Collection of the Late Arthur Jerome Eddy, exh. cat. (Chicago: Art Institute of Chicago, 1922), n.p., no. 24, as House and Flowering Cherry Frees, Hamburg.

Daniel Catton Rich, Exhibition of the Arthur Jerome Eddy Collection of Modern Paintings and Sculpture, exh. cat. (Chicago: The Art Institute of Chicago, 1931), pp. 12, 14, no. 5, as House and Flowering Cherry Trees: Hamburg.

Art Institute of Chicago, Paintings in The Art Institute of Chicago: A Catalogue of the Picture Collection (Chicago: Art Institute of Chicago, 1961), p. 215, as House and Flowering Cherry Trees, Hamburg.

A. James Speyer and Courtney Graham Donnell, Twentieth Century European Paintings (Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1980), p. 46, no. 2B2, as House and Flowering Cherry Trees, Hamburg.

Geneviève Claisse, Herbin: Catalogue raisonné de l’oeuvre peint (Lausanne, Switzerland: Les Éditions du Grand-Pont, 1993), p. 301, no. 125 (ill.), as Maison et arbres en fleurs, Hambourg, 1907.

Ownership History

Clovis Sagot & Cie [according to a label on the reverse of the painting]. Arthur Jerome Eddy (1859–1920); by descent to his widow, Lucy Orrell Eddy (1863–1931) and his son, Jerome O. Eddy (1891–1951); given to the Art Institute, 1931.




View mobile website