About This Artwork

Spanish (Catalan)
15th century

Warrior Saint, 1490/1500

Tempera and oil on panel
72 x 42 7/16 in. (183 x 97.8 cm); painted surface: 66 x 32 3/4 in. (167.5 x 83.2 cm)

Gift of Mrs. Chauncey McCormick, 1962.86

Exhibition, Publication and Ownership Histories

Exhibition History

Art Institute of Chicago, A Century of Progress, 1934, no. 81.

Publication History

Elizabeth du Gué Trapier, Catalogue of Paintings (14th and 15th Centuries) in the Collection of the Hispanic Society of America, New York, 1930, pp. li–lii n. 18.

Ernst Ku_hnel, “Maurische Teppiche aus Alcaraz,” Pantheon 6 (1930), p. 420, fig. 5.

Chandler Rathfon Post, A History of Spanish Painting, vol. 7, Cambridge, Mass., 1938, pp. 487–90, 587, fig. 177.

Chandler Rathfon Post, A History of Spanish Painting, vol. 9, Cambridge, Mass. 1947, p. 868.

Juan Antonio Gaya Nuño, La pintura española fuera de España, Madrid, 1958, pp. 42, 334, no. 2962.

Ulrich Thieme and Felix Becker, Allgemeines Lexikon der bildenden Künstler von der Antike bis zur Gegenwart, vol. 37, Leipzig, 1950, p. 148.

Art Institute of Chicago Annual Report, 1961–62, p. 15 (ill.).

José Camón Aznar, Pintura medieval española, Summa artis 22, Madrid, 1966, p. 413.

Sarah B. Sherrill, “The Islamic Tradition in Spanish Rug Weaving: Twelfth through Seventeenth Centuries,” Antiques 105 (1974), pp. 536, 545, fig. 7.

Ruth Matilda Anderson, Hispanic Costume, 1480–1530, New York, 1979, pp. 91, 99, figs. 232, 250.

Josep Gudiol and Santiago Alcolea i Blanch, Pintura gótica catalana, Barcelona,
1986, p. 198, cat. 646, fig. 987.

Judith Berg Sobré in Martha Wolff et al., Northern European and Spanish Paintings before 1600 in the Art Institute of Chicago (Chicago, 2008), pp. 50-54, ill.

Ownership History

Possibly the town of Banyoles, north of Girona [Trapier 1930, p. li].. Charles Deering, Marycel, Sitges, near Barcelona, and Chicago, by 1921 [placed on loan at the Art Institute in 1921; loan agreement, Nov. 18, 1921, Art Institute Archives]; given to his daughters Mrs. Chauncey McCormick and Mrs. Richard E. Danielson, 1924; Mrs. ChaunceyMcCormick, in a division of their joint property, 1937 [registrar’s records]; given to the Art Institute, 1962.




View mobile website