About This Artwork

Edgar Degas
French, 1834–1917

The Tub, modeled 1889 (cast 1919/21)

Bronze
47 cm (18 1/2 in.); base: 41.3 x 42.6 cm (16 1/4 x 16 3/4 in.)
Mark: "26 [over] HER.D"
Signature: "DEGAS"
Foundry mark: "CIRE PERDUE A.HEBRARD"

Wirt D. Walker Endowment, 1950.114

Exhibition, Publication and Ownership Histories

Exhibition History

New Orleans, Isaac Delgado Museum of Art, "Edgar Degas: His Family and Friends in New Orleans," 2 May – 16 June 1965, no. 26.

Los Angeles County Museum of Art, "The Romantics to Rodin: French Nineteenth-Century Sculpture from American Collections," 28 February – 25 May 1980, Minneapolis Institute of Arts, 25 June – 21 September 1980, Detroit Institute of Arts, 27 October 1980 – 4 January 1981, and the Indianapolis Museum of Art, 22 February – 29 April 1981, no. 109.

Art Institute of Chicago, "Degas in the Art Institute of Chicago," 19 July – 23 September 1984, no. 77.

Publication History

John Rewald, Degas: Works in Sculpture, A Complete Catalogue (New York, 1944), pp. 23, 78–80, no. 27.

Art Institute of Chicago, "Recent Purchases and Gifts," Art Institute of Chicago Bulletin, 44, 4 (November 1950), n. p. (ill.).

New York, M. Knoedler & Company, Inc., Edgar Degas, 1834–1917: Original Wax Sculptures (1955), no. 26.

John Rewald, Degas Sculpture: The Complete Works (New York, 1957), p. 146, no. 27, pls. 76–78.

Fiorella Minervino, L’Opera completa di Degas (Milan, 1970), p. 144, cat. S56.

Charles W. Millard, The Sculpture of Edgar Degas (Princeton, 1976), pp. 9–10, 24, 38, 63, 68–69, 75, 80, 83 n. 56, 107–08, 114, fig. 92.

Anne Pingeot, Degas: Sculptures (Paris, 1991), p. 179, no. 56.

Sara Campbell, "A Catalogue of Degas’ Bronzes," Apollo 142, 402 (August 1995), pp. 23-24, no. 26.

Joseph S. Czestochowski and Anne Pingeot, Degas Sculptures: Catalogue Raisonné of the Bronzes (Memphis, 2002), pp. 172–73, no. 26.

Ownership History

Commissioned by the Degas heirs from the Hébrard Foundry, Paris, May 1918; René DeGas Family, Paris, by 1921 [see Czestochowski and Pingeot, p. 15]; DeGas-Musson Family, New Orleans, by 1949 [see source cited above, p. 173]; sold to Elkin and Albris Silberman Galleries, New York, January 19, 1950 [according to agreement of sale, January 19, 1950, DeGas-Musson Papers, Howard-Tilton Memorial Library, Tulane University, copy in curatorial file; see also source cited above]; sold by Silberman Galleries to the Art Institute, 1950.




View mobile website