About This Artwork

Nicolas Lancret
French, 1690-1743

The Beautiful Greek Woman, 1731/36

Oil on canvas
70 x 51.6 cm (27 9/16 x 20 5/16 in.)

Gift of Mrs. Albert J. Beveridge in memory of her aunt, Delia Spencer Field (Mrs. Marshall Field), 1948.565

Exhibition, Publication and Ownership Histories

Exhibition History

Art Institute of Chicago, Selected Works of Eighteenth-Century French Art in the Collection of the Art Institute of Chicago, 1976, no. 5

Publication History

Georges Wildenstein, Lancret (Paris, 1924), p. 117, no. 700.

Art Institute of Chicago, Paintings in the Art Institute of Chicago. A Catalogue of the Picture Collection (Chicago, 1961), p. 254.

Mary Tavener Holmes, “Nicolas Lancret and Genre Themes of the Eighteenth Century”, PhD. dissertation, Institute of Fine Arts, New York University, 1986, appendix, p. 27, under no. 26.

John Ingamells, The Wallace Collection: Catalogue of Pictures, part 3, French before 1815 (London, 1989), p. 237, under no. P450.

Christopher Wright, The World’s Master Paintings from the Early Renaissance to the Present Day: A Comprehensive Listing of Works by 1,300 Painters and a Complete Guide to their Locations Worldwide (New York, 1991), vol. 1, p. 446, vol. 2, pp. 62, 587.

Susan Wise in Susan Wise and Malcolm Warner, French and British Paintings from 1600 to 1800 in The Art Institute of Chicago. A Catalogue of the Collection (Chicago, 1996), pp. 86-90, ill.

Ownership History

Charles Fox, Rutland, England, probably by 1847 [based on the exhibition history of its likely pendant, The Amorous Turk, belonging to the Sarah Blaffer Campbell Foundation, Houston, see Wise 1996]; probably sold 1849 [according to labels formerly on the back of the painting, now in curatorial file]. E. Gimpel and Wildenstein, New York, by 1920 [according to another label formerly on the back of the painting, now in curatorial file]; sold to Delia Spencer Caton, Mrs. Marshall Field I, Washington, D.C., by 1920 (died 1937); by descent to her niece, Mrs. Albert J. Beveridge, [according to letters in Art Institute archives]; given to the Art Institute, 1948.




View mobile website