About This Artwork

Byzantine; Eastern Mediterranean, probably Syria

Jug, 6th century AD

Glass, mold-blown technique
14.3 x 7.9 x 6.8 cm (5 5/8 x 3 1/8 x 2 5/8 in.)

Gift of Theodore W. and Frances S. Robinson, 1947.962

Glass vessels were one of the many kinds of objects that were made for pilgrims of different faiths who visited Jerusalem. This jug was probably used to store blessed oil or water.

—Permanent collection label

Exhibition, Publication and Ownership Histories

Exhibition History

The Art Institute of Chicago, Ancient Art Galleries, Gallery 155A, April 20, 1994 - February 6, 2012.

The Art Institute of Chicago, Of Gods and Glamour: The Mary and Michael Jaharis Galleries of Greek, Roman, and Byzantine Art, Gallery 153, November 11, 2012 - present.

Publication History

Wanda Odell, "Ancient Glass: The Mr. and Mrs. Theodore W. Robinson Collection, Gallery 5A, The Art Institute of Chicago," unpublished catalogue (1940), Department of Ancient and Byzantine Art files.




View mobile website